Welcome to Turquoise Class
Dates for your diary!
Thursday 31st October
Tuesday 5th November
Rivers fieldwork (See letter for more information)
Friday 29th November
5-7pm Christmas Fair
Tuesday 17th December
Christmas lunch and Christmas jumper day
Friday 20th December
2pm Christmas Singalong
This term we will be learning:
- English - We will be writing our own autobiographies after analysing the way they are written and how they differ from biographies. Later in the term we will be reading and writing detective stories. We hope to become super sleuths in class!
- Maths - Place value and the number system continue to be a huge focus. Children need to be able to recall number facts at speed (addition and subtraction as well as multiplication and division) and we really do urge you to ensure children practise these regularly at home, aiming for at least 5 minutes of practise each day.
- Science - After we conclude our unit on forces, we will be looking at 'Evolution and Inheritance'.
- History - Our local history study this year takes us slightly further afield than Rochdale as we learn all about the Pendle Witches and their trial at Lancaster Castle. If you are looking for anywhere to go with your children and would like to link it to their learning in school, we can highly recommend a walk up Pendle Hill or a trip to Lancaster Castle where you can see the old dungeons and compare it with the more modern prison, which only stopped being used in 2011.
- Computing - This term we will be learning to code! The children will use Scratch to do this.
- RE - We will be learning about Hinduism, with the key question being 'Do we have live our lives a certain way?
- Music - Children will continue with choir practice. Those who are not in choir will take part in music lessons in class where they will learn to sing and perform the song 'Make You Feel My Love'.
- PE - This term we are very lucky and one of our PE lessons will be coaching by FUNDA. PE lessons may happen at times other than the timetabled slots so please do ensure that children have their PE kits in school every day. Both PE lessons are likely to be outdoor sessions so it is important that children are equipped for slightly inclement weather!
PE days: We will not have any swimming lessons this half term. Indoor and outdoor PE lessons are subject to change and as such, you MUST have indoor and outdoor PE kits in school at all times.
Homework and spellings:
Each week, children will be given a piece of mathematics or English homework. This homework includes learning spellings.
Learning logs will be given out for this half term during the first two weeks of the year. Please note that you are expected to complete two of these as a minimum but that you can choose to do more if you wish. These tasks are intended to be broad so that you can interpret them as creatively as you wish. We had some super ones last half term and would love to be able to take some photographs of the ones completed this half term to show you all!
Reading remains a key priority and we expect to see reading diaries signed at least four times each week. The reading challenge remains the key part of the homework.
Keep an eye on the website for any important information - everything that you need will appear on here and it may save you time to check before ringing the office.
We visited the River Spodden to measure the depth of the water and the speed at which the water was travelling. Keep your eyes peeled for more photographs soon!