Welcome to Turquoise Class
This term we will be learning:
- English - We will be studying Shakespeare's Macbeth at the beginning of this term and hope to use pieces of this to entertain you in our class assembly on Friday 7th February. Later on in the term, we will be learning to use our debating skills. Be prepared for some interesting conversations at home!
- Maths - We begin the term by learning to tell the time, focusing on analogue and digital clocks and comparing different units of time too. Please help your children with this at home. Place value and the number system continue to be a huge focus. Children need to be able to recall number facts at speed (addition and subtraction as well as multiplication and division) and we really do urge you to ensure children practise these regularly at home, aiming for at least 5 minutes of practise each day.
- Science - After we conclude our unit on 'Evolution and Inheritance' we will be learning about the human body.
- History - After concluding our local history study, we travel slightly further afield and back in time as we explore Ancient Greece.
- Computing - Once we finish our Scratch unit, we will be studying spreadsheets.
- RE - We will be learning about Islam.
- Music - Children will continue with choir practice. Those who are not in choir will take part in music lessons in class where they will learn to sing and perform the song 'Make You Feel My Love'.
- PE - This term we are very lucky and one of our PE lessons will be coaching by FUNDA. PE lessons may happen at times other than the timetabled slots so please do ensure that children have their PE kits in school every day. Both PE lessons are likely to be outdoor sessions so it is important that children are equipped for slightly inclement weather!
- DT - We are very excited to begin our DT unit on structures as we look at strengthening a structure before attempting to build our very own Greek Temple. Watch this space for photographs of this!
PE days: We will not have any swimming lessons this half term. Indoor and outdoor PE lessons are subject to change and as such, you MUST have indoor and outdoor PE kits in school at all times.
Homework and spellings:
Each week, children will be given a piece of mathematics or English homework. This homework includes learning spellings.
Learning logs will be given out for this half term during the first two weeks of the year. Please note that you are expected to complete two of these as a minimum but that you can choose to do more if you wish. These tasks are intended to be broad so that you can interpret them as creatively as you wish. We had some super ones last half term and would love to be able to take some photographs of the ones completed this half term to show you all!
Reading remains a key priority and we expect to see reading diaries signed at least four times each week. The reading challenge remains the key part of the homework.
Keep an eye on the website for any important information - everything that you need will appear on here and it may save you time to check before ringing the office.
We visited the River Spodden to measure the depth of the water and the speed at which the water was travelling. Keep your eyes peeled for more photographs soon!